Fitness is An Individual Process Not a Competition

Fitness is an individual journey to become your best healthy self. That means you won't look like me nor will I look like you.

Believing you can accomplish the goal of looking like someone else isn't realistic, possible, or the point of getting fit and healthy. 

What I provide is motivation and guidance on adopting a healthy lifestyle which is an amazing opportunity for me and you. Agreed?



Reaching Personal Goals

During my early school years, I didn't always feel the best about myself. Through this time, I found motivation and encouragement from my physical education teachers and coaches. They made me feel accomplished and inspired me to do more and be more.

It was at that young age I wanted to be like them. I wanted the ability to make young people feel inner strength, confident, and happy. I felt strongly my goal in life was to be a P.E. teacher.

Of course, I couldn't climb into their bodies and become them but imagining being them was pretty awesome. In my twists and turns of life, I'm doing my passion on a broader scope not limited to a high school gym setting.

Life has a way of turning struggles into even greater achievements. 


Individual Goals, Not a Competition

The thing about life, mentors, and motivators is to understand the concept of guides, and yes to have goals. Goals are to be individual, and we can be inspired by our coaches, trainers and even fitness competitors.

Sometimes, this admiration turns into a passion for working in the health and fitness industry. That's great as long as it's done as a true personal achievement and not because you long to live in another person's skin. 

Fitness goals are personal and not a contest to become someone else. You can look at the motivation from a guide as a gift that contributed to your ability to achieve your goals. This would be completely acceptable and even appreciated. 

Own and Accept Your Body

Love your body through the process of getting fit and healthy. 

I'm just going to say it - many women can get too hung up on the way other women look physically. They want to have 'her' body instead of their own. This problem is bigger than even realized. Let me share a short personal story.

In my early competitive days, I admired a certain fitness competitor I will keep anonymous. I really did want a body like hers. I followed all the nutrition plans and extreme workouts to make that happen. 

The reality of this situation - I still wasn't her. When on-stage physique judging came, my body still wasn't good enough. I was too lean and muscular and that year the judges were looking for a softer, curvy look. What a blow of realism for me. But, I needed this wake-up call.


Comparison is the Thief of Joy

I was being judged on a stage by people I didn't know, ready to scrutinize the body I worked so hard to create. I quickly learned and realized there is a political side that exists in fitness competitions. I also learned the hard way that comparison is the thief of joy. 

That still didn't seem to matter because feelings of inadequacy and ensuing lack of confidence can break a person in such circumstances.

The moral of this learning experience was I would never be the amazing fitness competitor I admired. Although this felt like a huge letdown, it created such a light bulb moment for me.

I needed to start loving me for me. I wasn't doing that and it took being torn down to start really building myself up. 


Keep it Real

The reality is too many people we admire get placed on pedestals. You know what, we're all just people.

For example, I am no more special than you are. I'm just working my passion and enjoy paying it forward as a gift of motivation for you. 
To this day, I remain conservative with self-images I use for motivation. I want them to be inspiring and provide a message of 'you can do this'.

As a fitness guide, I feel even more responsible to convey a clear message on the importance of looking like yourself. 


The Bottom Line


We live in a world where skinny, fake, and comparison is overboard. It's to the point where the negative impact is felt from all age groups, especially our young women. I hope this message provides some encouragement to know you're good enough and working toward self-improvement is the goal. 

Thanks for stopping by my Blog. Remember to subscribe and never miss a free update.
Be well and Stay Healthy

 







Post a Comment

0 Comments